‘Gas leak’ at Kingy High actually rotting vegetation
TEACHERS and students breathed a sigh of relief as fire crews ruled out a dangerous gas leak at Kingscliff High, identifying rotting vegetation as the source of the suspicious stench instead.
A NSW Education spokesman said fire crews were called into the school today at about 8.30am when a staff member had “smelt a strange smell” at school grounds.
“Children were asked to be kept inside as a precaution,” he said.
Four NSW Fire crews from Kingscliff, Banora Point and Tweed Heads stations tried to locate the gas leak.
A NSW Fire spokeswoman said crews attended a number of locations to determine if the smell was coming from the drains.
A gas reading reported negative results, revealing vegetation and rubbish from recent storms along the Tweed coast was the source of the stench.
“Once NSW Fire crews gave the all clear, children were allowed outside,” a NSW Education spokesman said.