Stephanie Gilmore is in high spirits
Stephanie Gilmore is in high spirits

Gilmore moving on after assault

FEW people could draw a positive from falling victim to a random assault with a metal bar, but Stephanie “Happy” Gilmore yesterday did just that.

On the day her alleged assailant, Julius Sterling Guy Fox, had his case mentioned at Tweed Heads Local Court, Gilmore held a press conference in Sydney where she talked about her recovery.

“This scary incident happened and it was obviously a completely random thing, and I'm going to have to take some time to heal emotionally and physically, but I've never had a holiday like this before,” Ms Gilmore said.

“I always joked that no one would really read my biography because it would be boring and there was no drama. But this is cool, it's a good little story to put in.”

Fox, 26, was forced to remain behind bars after his status remained bail refused yesterday.

The “homeless” man, who had a Kirra address listed on court documents, is facing four charges in relation to the incident at Gilmore's Tweed Heads unit block.

There are three counts relating to causing grievous bodily harm, and another for breaching a good behaviour bond Fox entered in July last year.

Court documents say Fox suffers from a mental illness, for which he is on medication.

No pleas were entered yesterday and the case was set down for Lismore on March 15, with Fox to be given the evidence brief by late February.

Four-time world champion Ms Gilmore has been out of the water since the December 27 attack with a fractured wrist and ligament damage, but is confident she will recover in time to start her quest for a fifth straight world surfing title in the ASP World Tour season opener at Snapper Rocks on February 26.

The surfing superstar, who recently signed a lucrative five-year deal with Quiksilver believed to be worth $5 million, said the support she had received from around the world since the attack had been amazing.

“I think one of the first people who actually texted me was Kelly Slater, and I was like ‘woah! You serious?',” she said.

“To know that people around the world want to know that I'm okay is really special.”

Ms Gilmore admitted she was looking forward to hitting the surf again.

“I'll be out for about six weeks, so that's probably just in time for the Roxy Pro,” she said.

“I'm willing to wait until my very first heat to make sure (my wrist) heals, because it's a long year.”

Police will allege Fox assaulted Gilmore on a balcony of her Hill Street unit block with a metal bar at 9.30am, December 27, before fleeing the scene on a pushbike.

Neighbours detained him some time later after a chase through a number of backyards.

Police arrested and charged Fox.

‘Be hyper-vigilant’: Shark sightings on the rise

Premium Content ‘Be hyper-vigilant’: Shark sightings on the rise

“There is a lot of bait balls around and whales are still migrating"

Australia’s richest garbo buys up Gold Coast properties

Premium Content Australia’s richest garbo buys up Gold Coast properties

His Broadbeach deal is believed to be worth around $7 million