Man stabs girlfriend three times moments after release

MOMENTS after he was released from the Rockhampton watch house, Phillip Brian Gulf was standing over his girlfriend, knife in hand.

The 20-year-old pleaded guilty yesterday in the Supreme Court of Rockhampton to entering a dwelling with intent and stabbing the woman on March 18, 2012.

Crown prosecutor Joshua Phillips told the court Gulf and his girlfriend, who was 17 at the time, were involved in an argument at her relative's Berserker home earlier that night.

Police became involved and arrested the defendant about 11pm.

Four hours later, he was released from the watch house, immediately returning to the home.

Gulf climbed into the house through an open window.

The pair started fighting again and the woman ran outside, slipping over as she did.

Gulf grabbed a knife from the kitchen and followed her.

He then stabbed her three times in the arm, bending the knife.

Gulf fled the scene, but handed himself into police later that day.

Mr Phillips said Gulf told police he wanted to "wipe her out".

"That **** is lucky she's not dead now, she won't be so lucky next time," he told police in an interview.

Defence barrister Robert East said his client was heavily intoxicated at the time.

He said the pair, who share a child, had separated the day before.

Mr East asked Justice Duncan McMeekin to consider a suspended sentence.

However, Justice McMeekin said it was clear the young man needed supervision.

Gulf was sentenced to five years jail, eligible for parole as of yesterday.

Tweed paedophiles going unmonitored

Tweed paedophiles going unmonitored

Whereabouts of 200 offenders is currently unknown.

Political candidate praised after heroic citizen's arrest

Political candidate praised after heroic citizen's arrest

State Labor candidate for Tweed congratulated in Parliament.

Spring blooms set to blossom at annual flower show

Spring blooms set to blossom at annual flower show

Explosion of colour set to go on show

Local Partners