Swallow extends Suns contract
THE Gold Coast Suns yesterday announced news most of their AFL rivals to be may find hard to swallow.
Sure to be one of the fans' favourites, number one national draft pick David Swallow yesterday pledged his allegiance to the fledgling club until at least 2013, extending his current contract by a year.
“It's definitely great to know I'm now going to be here beyond next year so I'm rapt,” he said.
“It's really exciting.”
Swallow joined the Suns from East Fremantle in 2009 as a 16-year-old – 12 months before his “draft year” – on the promise of 2010 national draft selection.
The explosive midfielder enjoyed an outstanding 2010 VFL season and was only a few votes short of claiming the coveted JJ Liston Trophy for the competition's best and fairest player.
However, the 18-year-old admitted his first AFL pre-season was proving tough.
“It's definitely a step up from last year that's for sure,” he said. “But it's going really well and I'm really enjoying it.
“They're pushing us hard but that's how its got to be if we're going to be ready for next year.”
Senior coach Guy McKenna said he was delighted about the new deal and praised Swallow's extraordinary training ethic.
“His first 12 months has obviously excited us and as one of our youngest players, for him to have the season he had there's certainly a bright future for him,” McKenna said.
“Talent aside, his ability to work hard is exemplary.
“Last season we had some senior guys like Sammy Iles, Danny Stanley and Dan Harris and Michael Coad really setting a standard for us. But then you've got this young kid having to be pulled aside after a Wednesday training session to be told ‘mate, you're actually doing too much'.
“He just sets a magnificent example and will continue to do so.”