Hastings Point ban stays

ATTEMPTS to scuttle or at least delay a ban on the building of more than two units or villas on any block of land in Hastings Point have failed.

The majority of Tweed Shire councillors at the Tuesday meeting refused to back away from proposed new development controls which also limit building heights to two storeys despite emotional pleas for one affected landowner.

Brisbane resident Kay Johnstone said the council had not warned her about plans to impose the new controls and she felt “the rug had been pulled from under” her family's plans to build units for her children.

Her case was taken up by Cr Kevin Skinner who said the controls - introduced last month after years of lobbying by the Hastings Point Progress Association whose members are mostly from the southern part of the village - were unfair.

He led a move to rescind the earlier decision. When that was backed only by councillors Warren Polglase and Phil Youngblutt, he called for letters to be sent to all Hastings Point residents and landowners seeking their opinion on the changes, with implementation delayed until the responses are studied. That also failed.



GALLERY: Tweed River High School students shine

GALLERY: Tweed River High School students shine

Watch out for our special formals insert on December 1

Mayor's plea for Tweed

Mayor's plea for Tweed

Mayoral message from Cr Katie Milne

Why not do a long lunch on Sunday?

Why not do a long lunch on Sunday?

Fins at Plantation House is open for Sunday lunch

Local Partners