Facebook outcry for jailed Brit
POMMIE backpacker Daniel Dean punched and killed a man over a Texas Hold ’Em poker game at Airlie Beach.
He also imported more than 500 ecstasy tablets by having someone in England post eight packages to him. He claimed earning $20,000 from drug trafficking.
Despite this, he had more than 300 messages of support on his Facebook site from people screaming out that he was innocent and didn’t deserve to be in jail.
Dean’s older brother said on Facebook: “My darling little brother who I love dearly is going through something that should have never happened.
“I believe it is a travesty of justice and my brother has to live with this unfortunate accident for the rest of his life which I believe is punishment enough.
“Don’t drink and drive. Don’t drink and fight.”
Daniel Dean, 26, was convicted by jury last year of the manslaughter of Mark Urch, 29, who was punched then fell in a concrete car park and fractured his skull outside Banjo’s Bar and Grill.
The Court of Appeal granted a retrial but Dean refused the retrial yesterday and pleaded guilty.
He also pleaded guilty to importing 560 ecstasy tablets in the lead-up to the fatality.
Dean was sentenced to 10 years in jail. He has already served 642 days. He will be released on parole on July 24, 2011, and then deported.
Now his supporters have to eat their words. The Facebook support included:
- Jade Bentham: I know I’d fight back too. Least u know you got everyone back home supporting you.
- Emily Hastings: I believe he is not guilty. He did what he thought was rite.
- Radka Kovandova: I can’t believe it. Danny is not guilty. Everybody would fight back. The verdict was wrong and I believe Danny should be released. I’ve never met Danny.
- Les Brewster: I went 2 school with Danny he was a good lad I wud have done the same who wouldn’t self defence. 100% not guilty.
- Nichola Price: I don’t know the lad personally but from what I have read it was a fair punch. To me I don’t think he is guilty.
Robert Urch, the victim’s father, said his family was disappointed with the resentencing which, in effect, added just two months to the time Daniel Dean will spend in jail.
“Overall he ends up with an extra two months for running drugs which can kill young people.
“So we’re very disappointed. As you can see the family is very upset.”