Chester the cat woke Charlie Gordon and Abbie Kark before a fire in their garage could spread into the unit.
Chester the cat woke Charlie Gordon and Abbie Kark before a fire in their garage could spread into the unit. Tara Miko

Hero kitty saves Kearneys Spring couple from fire

A YOUNG couple owes their lives to their cat Chester after he alerted them to a fire in their Kearneys Spring garage.

The five-month-old feline woke Abbie Kark, 18, and Charlie Gordon, 20, about 4.30am yesterday by furiously scratching on the bedroom door.

It was only when Ms Kark opened the door to let Chester into the room she saw the black smoke billowing under the garage door and into the unit.

The couple quickly scooped up Chester and grabbed their phones to call emergency services which arrived on scene shortly after.

They moved Mr Gordon's ute out of the garage and quickly smothered the fire that had threatened to spread into the roof.

The fire, which is believed to have started in the washing machine in the garage, caused extensive smoke damage to the unit into which the couple moved about five months earlier.

As the extensive clean up got under way yesterday, Ms Kark said Chester had proven more effective than the working fire alarms in the unit having woken them up minutes before they sounded.



Greens raise hospital concerns in Parliament

Greens raise hospital concerns in Parliament

Greens want new hospital on current site at Tweed Heads.

Skipping along the Mud Trail

Skipping along the Mud Trail

Get your hands dirty while learning all about pottery

Fingal to get its angel rings

Fingal to get its angel rings

Drownings force government to install lifesaving devices

Local Partners