Abby Nelson next to her parents caravan that was extensively damaged by fire at their home in Eli Waters.
Abby Nelson next to her parents caravan that was extensively damaged by fire at their home in Eli Waters. Alistair Brightman

Holiday plans go up in flames along with caravan

JUST weeks before she had planned to go on a camping holiday with her parents, Abby Nelson could only watch as the family caravan went up in flames on Thursday.

A gas leak in a fridge is believed to be behind the blaze which gutted the van in the yard of an Eli Waters home.

Emergency services were called to the scene after the fire broke out about 2.30pm.

The fire was contained quickly but the caravan could not be saved.

Hervey Bay Police Sergeant Paul Jervis praised the efforts of firefighters who arrived immediately and were able to put out the fire before it spread to the home and neighbouring properties.

Ms Nelson told the Chronicle she and her parents were looking forward to a trip in the van over the Christmas holidays but would now have to make new plans.

Investigations into whether the fridge was faulty are continuing.

The interior of a caravan that was extensively damaged by fire in Eli Waters.
The interior of a caravan that was extensively damaged by fire in Eli Waters. Alistair Brightman


New Parkinson’s specialist nurse joins Tweed-Byron network

Premium Content New Parkinson’s specialist nurse joins Tweed-Byron network

People living with Parkinson’s disease now have added support

Hospitality businesses urged to sign up to COVID program

Premium Content Hospitality businesses urged to sign up to COVID program

The free meal voucher program is expected to be rolled out soon

NRL game brings Titanic amount of cash flow to Lismore

Premium Content NRL game brings Titanic amount of cash flow to Lismore

NRL game between brings huge economic benefit to the town