Hornets slide to fourth
CUDGEN has tumbled to fourth on the LJ Hooker League ladder after suffering a loss to Marist Brothers Lismore at Nielsen Park on Saturday.
After starting the season with eight wins from as many games, the reigning premiers have been in a slump heightened by the recent loss of star players to representative duties, and fell easily to a clinical Marist Brothers side.
Winning the toss, Cudgen sent Marist into bat, who posted 290 off their 69.3 overs, highlighted by a superb knock of 126 by first drop Sam Martin.
Caleb Ziebell and James Julius were the pick of the bowlers, with both taking four wickets apiece.
In reply, Cudgen lost regular wickets to be all out for 222 off 47.4 overs in their second loss for the season.
Cudgen now sits fourth behind Alstonville, Marist and Tintenbar-East Ballina, who are all one game clear of the Hornets, who'll take on Alstonville on January 7, when the league resumes after the Christmas break.
Meanwhile, fellow Tweed side Pottsville fell to seventh on the ladder, after a loss to Lennox Head at Seabreeze Oval on Saturday.
- 1 Alstonville: W: 6 L: 4 D: 2. Points: 31
- 2 Marist Brothers Lismore: W:4 L:5 D:2. Points: 31
- 3 Tintenbar-East Ballina: W:6 L:4 D:2 Points:31
- 4 Cudgen: W:10 L:2 D:1. Points: 30
- 5 Lennox Head: 11 W:3 L:7 D:1. Points: 26
- 6 Ballina Bears: W:7 L:5 D:1. Points: 22
- 7 Pottsville: W:3 L:6 D:2. Points: 21
- 8 Casino RSM Cavaliers: W:2 L:8 D:1. Points: 16