Incredible chocolate pie air fryer hack
Who needs an oven anyway?
Gadget hacks are taking over our kitchens - so much so that Taste.com.au and HarperCollins publishers have even brought out a book on Australia's 100 biggest recipes for pie makers, air fryers, sandwich toasters, waffle irons and the like.
And they are not what you think.
Pie Maker & Co, out on April 7, covers sweet and savoury recipes from caramel custard-filled doughnuts and chicken kiev patties in the pie maker, to cheesy maple bacon jaffles and dim sim sausage rolls.
It's a long weekend, so we thought we'd share a few from the Taste collection that are going nuts online even before making it to print. Because it's Easter, a couple have to feature choccie. And what goes better before chocolate than... cheese?
AIR FRYER CELEBRATIONS
0:15 Prep * 0:10 Cook * Makes 24
4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
24 Mars Celebrations chocolates, unwrapped
Cinnamon sugar, for dusting
Icing sugar, for dusting
Whipped cream, to serve
1. Cut each sheet of pastry into 6 rectangles. Brush lightly with egg. Place 1 chocolate in the centre of each piece of pastry. Fold over pastry to enclose chocolate. Trim pastry, pressing edges to seal. Place on a baking paper-lined tray. Brush tops with a little egg. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar.
2. Place a sheet of baking paper in the air-fryer basket, making sure paper is 1cm smaller than the basket to allow air to circulate. Place 6 pockets in the basket, being careful not to overlap. Cook on 190°C for 8-9 minutes or until golden and pastry is cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining pockets.
3. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm with whipped cream.
PIE MAKER NUTELLA DOUGHNUTS
0:05 Prep * 0:10 Cook * Makes 10
225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar, plus 100g (1/2 cup) extra, to dust
2 teaspoons baking powder
125g butter, melted, plus 50g extra
125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
2 eggs, lightly whisked
75g (1/4 cup) Nutella
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the centre and add the butter, sour cream and eggs. Gently fold to combine.
2. Turn on the pie maker. Spoon in enough batter to come 2/3 of the way up the side of each hole. Quickly add about a heaped teaspoon of Nutella in the middle of each, then spoon in enough batter to cover the Nutella. Close the pie maker and cook for 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, combine the extra sugar and the cinnamon in a medium-size bowl. Melt the extra butter in a microwave-safe bowl on High for 1 minute.
4. Transfer the cooked doughnuts to a wire tray and repeat with the remaining batter and Nutella to make 10 doughnuts.
5. Dip the warm doughnuts in the melted butter then toss in the cinnamon sugar. Serve hot or at room temperature.
AIR FRYER SIZZLER-STYLE CHEESE TOAST
0:05 Prep * 0:05 Cook * Makes 2 pieces
30g (1/3 cup) finely grated pecorino
2 tablespoon margarine
2 thick slices white bread
1. Combine the pecorino and margarine in a bowl. Use a knife to spread evenly over the bread.
2. Place the bread in the air fryer. Cook at 200C for 5 minutes or until golden. Serve.
PIE MAKER HASH BROWNS
(Potato and cheese. Yes please. You can spice up the filling with paprika, chilli etc if you like)
0:15 Prep * 0:20 Cook * Makes 8
750g washed potatoes
1 small brown onion, grated
30g butter, melted
40g (1/3 cup) grated cheese (we suggest cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan such as Coles Perfect Italiano blend)
Chopped fresh chives, to sprinkle
Sour cream, to serve
1. Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes. Place on a clean tea towel and wring to remove excess water. Transfer to a bowl. Add the onion and butter. Season well. Stir well to combine.
2. Pre-heat the pie maker. Fill each pie maker hole with potato mixture. Sprinkle each with about 2 teaspoons of the cheese. Close and cook for 8 minutes. Turn and cook, closed, for a further 2 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture and cheese. Season and serve sprinkled with chives and sour cream on the side.
Originally published as Incredible chocolate pie air fryer hack