Julia Gillard will make formal apology for forced adoptions
PRIME Minister Julia Gillard will formally apologise to the victims of past forced adoption practices in the new year.
Attorney-General Nicola Roxon announced on Wednesday the apology would be delivered on March 21 in Parliament House, Canberra.
Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and Tasmania already have apologised to victims of forced adoptions.
The federal apology will include a ceremony for mothers and fathers who were forcibly separated from their children, those now adult children who were adopted, affected siblings and extended family members.
"The government recognises the pain and suffering of those affected by these policies and practices," said Ms Roxon.
"The apology will be offered on behalf of the nation as a significant step in the healing process for those affected."
Ms Roxon said advice on the wording of the apology and associated events had been received from the Forced Adoptions Apology Reference Group, which was chaired by former Family Court judge Nahum Mushin and included people directly affected by forced adoption.