K’Cliff ‘gas leak conspiracy’ debunked
WHEN readers saw the story of NSW Fire Services identifying the source of a purported “gas leak” at Kingscliff as rotting vegetation on Friday, they didn’t buy it.
Today Fire and Rescue Kingscliff captain Brett Gray shed more light on investigations to quell community concerns.
“There are no articulated natural gas pipes in the Kingscliff area but there are LPG storage facilities,” he said.
“Firefighters checked all five facilities. No elevated gas levels were detected at any location. There was no gas leak.
“The gas company was also called in to investigate and nor did it find any elevated gas levels.”
Concerns about gas leaks were first raised at about 8.30am on Friday when fire crews were called to Kingscliff.
Four NSW Fire crews from Kingscliff, Banora Point and Tweed Heads stations were despatched and spent more than three hours investigating the reports.
The crews conducted numerous gas readings, including at Kingscliff High School and the BP service station at Chinderah on Tweed Valley Way.
Gas readings returned negative results and crews attributed the smell to rotting vegetation in nearby drains.
One of the initial calls came from a Kingscliff High School staff member who “smelt a strange smell” at the school grounds. “Children were asked to be kept inside as a precaution,” he said. “Once fire crews gave the all clear, children were allowed outside.”
But many of our Facebook followers including parents of children at the school said the findings were a “cover up” and the “gas” smell was evident across much of Kingscliff and beyond.
“It was a very powerful smell of petrol or kerosene,” Rachel Arthur said.
“So bad that my car still now smells of petrol.
“The kids were not making up stories of headaches and nausea. I had a headache from it.”
Mr Gray said more calls were made to Fire and Rescue on Saturday.