KFC appeals toxic Twister payout

FAST-Food giant KFC has launched an appeal against a court decision to award $8 million in compensation to the family of a young girl who suffered permanent brain damage as result of eating a toxic chicken wrap.

Monika Samaan was seven when she was overcome with salmonella poisoning after eating a KFC Twister at the Villawood store in Sydney's west in 2005.

She lost the use of her legs, was confined to a wheelchair and has never spoken properly since.

Following a drawn-out legal battle, a Sydney judge found poor hygiene practices were to blame for the food poising and ordered KFC to pay $8 million to the Samaan family.

Documents filed in the NSW Supreme Court this week reveal KFC is appealing the decision on the grounds the judge failed to consider some of the evidence.



Council cracks down on unauthorised Casuarina holiday homes

Council cracks down on unauthorised Casuarina holiday homes

The NSW Government is figuring out how to regulate houses.

Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Register your team for the fundraiser.

Severe weather warning issued for Northern Rivers

Severe weather warning issued for Northern Rivers

Flash-flooding could occur on some of the region's roads

Local Partners