A section of the Shell Panorama service station at Nambour has been cordoned off this morning after a leak was detected in a gas storage container.
A section of the Shell Panorama service station at Nambour has been cordoned off this morning after a leak was detected in a gas storage container. Trevor Veale

Laundry fire could have destroyed entire home

A QUICK response was crucial to containing a laundry fire on Terranora Rd on Thursday night.

Just after 7pm, emergency services were called to a home at Bungalora, where a washing machine was well alight.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokeswoman said crews from Banora Point and Tweed Heads attended the home, where one female occupant had evacuated. 

The spokeswoman said the electrical fire, which started inside a washing machine, was extinguished by about 7.30, before fire crews set about ventilating the home. 

She said the fire was contained to the laundry room, which sustained some damage. 

Banora Point Fire Station commander Daryl Pearce said if the owners hadn't been home, it could have been far more serious.

"It could have been quite a lot worse," Mr Pearce said.

"Had no one been at home, they could have lost the house

"The owners turned the power off, which was a smart move."

Mr Pearce said it wasn't clear whether or not the washing machine was running at the time. 

He said the laundry room walls sustained some fire damage.

He said fire fighters had to ventilate the entire home and ensure the fire had not spread.

"The whole house was totally filled with smoke," he said



Bowls results

Bowls results

Check out all the latest action from across the greens in the Tweed.

Sweet potatoes here to stay as police hunt for vandals

Sweet potatoes here to stay as police hunt for vandals

Cars reportedly damaged by sweet potatoes being thrown at them.

Gimme shelter: Top musos come together for Tweed homeless

Gimme shelter: Top musos come together for Tweed homeless

Moo Oz Fest aims to raise big bucks for homelessness services.

Local Partners