Lazy smoker lights grass fire
ON SUNDAY Tweed fire fighters were called to Bilambil and Piggabeen to attend to grass fires.
Fire officer King from Tweed Heads Fire Station said the station commander was forced to send a tanker to put out a grass fire at Bilambil around 1.15pm, which was presumably started by a negligent smoker throwing away a lit cigarette.
Around 5.00pm, the station received a second call to put out a grass fire near Piggabeen.
Although the fire at Bilambil came close to one residence, the fire service reported no injuries or damage to property.
This weekend's fires follow repeated warnings by the NSW Rural Fire Service about the emergence of a large amount of new plant growth and the increased the risk of fires in the Tweed.
Residents have been warned against complacency and told to put in place adequate safety measures when lighting fires to burn off vegetation and garbage.
Recent events emphasize the need for smokers to be aware of their actions when disposing of cigarettes and ensure they keep their butts away from the tinder-dry environment.
From September 1, all residents wishing to light a fire will need to apply for a licence from their local fire brigade which will inspect the intended site and give advice on required safety measures before issuing a permit.