Man jailed for machete attack

A KINGSCLIFF man has been jailed for four years over a Sydney robbery and a violent home invasion near Byron Bay when armed with a machete.

Jealousy over a soured romance with a former girlfriend may have been behind the Byron rampage.

Wielding a machete and a baseball bat, Joshua Waters and his screaming mate smashed their way through the glass doors of a Belongil Beach home, terrifying a 63-year-old woman inside.

The glass sliding doors shattered and once inside the two men started bashing side glass doors that led to a courtyard and studio cabin where her son was

The frightened woman grabbed a timber fireguard to protect herself and Waters, armed with the machete, ‘swung his arm above his head’ and came toward her.

Waters pushed the guard down and pushed the frightened woman on to her knees yelling at her ‘stay down, stay down’.

The woman’s son came into help and was threatened by Waters still carrying the machete saying: ‘You want to come and get some of this, you think you’re tough, come and get some of this’.

Following their violent rampage the men ran from the beachside house and drove off.

Waters, 27, of Kingscliff, who also spent time in Mullumbimby, pleaded guilty in Lismore District Court on Tuesday to the aggravated offence of entering the Giaour Street house on September 13 last year in company of a person unknown with intent to commit aserious offence – assault causing actual bodily harm.

He also pleaded guilty to robbing a man in the Sydney suburb of Surry Hills three nights earlier and stealing his Rossi brand leather boots.

Waters was also sentenced on the charge of taking part in the cultivation of 50 cannabis plants at Mullumbimby on September 14, 2009.

Crown documents before Judge James Black revealed Waters, on the day of the home invasion, made threatening phone calls to a former girlfriend who was a close friend of the Belongil woman’s son.

Defence lawyer John Weller said his client had co-operated with police and was now ‘a far cry from the person’ who perpetrated the violence.

He acknowledged Waters had alcohol and drug issues, but had previously been drug-free for two years without offending until relapsing. After being in jail he was now alcohol and drug free.

Mr Weller said Waters had done ‘a lot of soul searching’ and resolved to deal with his issues. Judge Black convicted Waters and jailed him for 12 months for stealing the boots; three years for the home invasion; and 12 months for the drug matter.

With a non-parole of three years and time already served Waters will be eligible for release in November 2012.

Property boom: The suburbs reaching staggering prices

Premium Content Property boom: The suburbs reaching staggering prices

Is your suburb on the list of crazy sales?

Broken bones and maggots: Nan’s horror death in aged care

Premium Content Broken bones and maggots: Nan’s horror death in aged care

She died with maggot-infested bed sores from negligent nursing home

TERRIFYING: Dashcam vision shows highway crash

Premium Content TERRIFYING: Dashcam vision shows highway crash

Shocking Maclean dashcam footage shows moments before crash on new Pacific...