Man flown to hospital after explosion near Tyalgum
A MAN in his 50s was flown from Tyalgum on Saturday afternoon after fumes from a car he was working on exploded, injuring him.
Ambulance and Rural Fire Service staff were called to Boormans Rd, between Tyalgum and Limpinwood, about 2.45pm.
The man had been working on his vintage car when fumes suddenly caught alight.
A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said he was flown by Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter to Lismore Base Hospital in a stable condition.
“He sustained burns to his feet, hands and arms,” she said.
Ambulance paramedics treated the man on the scene until the helicopter arrived.
Rural Fire Service Far North Coast Superintendent David Cook said the car was not alight when volunteer firefighters arrived.
“He was changing the fuel pump and it caught alight and he was burnt,” Supt Cook said.
Supt Cook urged anyone working on their own vehicles to take care.
“Especially when you’re working with fumes and any sources of ignition, be extremely careful,” he said.
Meanwhile, Supt Cook said Tweed residents had been taking more care to avoid lighting fires illegally.
In recent weeks, residents had been caught lighting fires without a permit, or without notifying their neighbours. The fine for each offence is $1100.