Works at the new McDonalds has been put on hold until asbestos and other contaminants are safely cleared.
Works at the new McDonalds has been put on hold until asbestos and other contaminants are safely cleared. John Gass

M’bah Maccas work halted after asbestos scare

AN asbestos and other contaminants scare has caused work to ground to a halt on a 24-hour McDonald's fast-food outlet and IGA supermarket development at Murwillumbah.

Construction has been put on standby at the new McDonalds in Murwillumbah.
Construction has been put on standby at the new McDonalds in Murwillumbah. John Gass

Work would not re-commence on the $3 million Tweed Valley Way development until a "satisfactory" Work Health and Safety Plan had been completed, Tweed Shire Council Director Planning and Regulation Vince Connell said.

On July 25 council identified a potential occupational health and safety risk on the site involving asbestos and other contaminants and requested that the site owner cease all work until the concerns had been addressed, Mr Connell said.

A Workcover NSW officer met this morning with representatives from council, the site owner and the development proponents on the site with the aim of ensuring that appropriate health and safety measures were put in place.

All parties at the on site meeting agreed that the next step was for the site principal to consult with the various construction consultants and contractors, with a view to documenting the construction works carried out to date, and producing an Work Health and Safety Plan and other project management measures for all future construction on the site, also with input from Workcover NSW and Council.

The council will continue to work with Workcover NSW, the site owners, the development proponents, and all relevant construction representatives to facilitate a safe work site, he said.

The McDonald's restaurant was approved early last year under 124 special conditions with some residents opposed to the fast food outlet.

McDonald's and NSW Work Cover have been contacted for comment.



BMX star ready to represent Australia

BMX star ready to represent Australia

Six-year-old BMX prodigy selected to take on world in Azerbaijan.

Time to play hardball with airport taxis

Time to play hardball with airport taxis

Renewed push to resolve frustrating cross border taxi regulation

A tale of politics, love and intrigue

A tale of politics, love and intrigue

M'bah Theatre company reinvents an old classic

Local Partners