POLICE crime scene officers investigate a section of Wharf Street yesterday after two men were viciously bashed.
POLICE crime scene officers investigate a section of Wharf Street yesterday after two men were viciously bashed. Patrick Williams/Tweed Daily News

Two bashed, one critical in hospital

THE Tweed once again descended into violence early yesterday morning when two men were viciously bashed and one left in a critical condition.

In the latest case of street attacks, the two men, aged 33 and 28, were allegedly assaulted on Wharf Street, Tweed Heads, about a kilometre from the State border, by an unknown number of assailants about 2am yesterday morning.

The 33-year-old man is in Gold Coast Hospital in a critical but stable condition with a suspected fractured skull.

The 28-year-old man was treated at The Tweed Hospital after escaping with only lacerations and swelling, according to New South Wales Police media.

Tweed Heads Police established a crime scene on the southbound side of the road about 8.30am.

“Police are attempting to identify those responsible,” a New South Wales Police spokesman said.

“Investigations are continuing.”

Shattered pieces of wood and broken glass scattered around the taped-off section were marked and photographed by forensic police officers.

Most of the nearby sidewalk was taped off, along with the street parking.

Only a metre of space was allowed for pedestrians to walk on the footpath in front of businesses.

One business owner, who did not wish to be named, said police need to do more to combat the street violence.

“Friday afternoons are the worst. A lot of alcohol and drug-affected people come walking by here causing a ruckus,” the business owner said.

She said local businesses were left in the dark yesterday as police temporarily reduced traffic to one lane.

Several incidents of rampant street bashings in Coolangatta and Tweed Heads have made headlines over the past year.

Earlier this month, Murwillumbah man Andrew Houlahan, 23, died after being allegedly punched in the head during a street brawl in Griffith Street, Coolan- gatta.

In June, Tweed Heads university student Sachin Surendran, 22, was attacked by two men outside the Coolangatta police station, which was closed at the time.

He was repeatedly punched and stabbed with his keys, and has since left the country.

Also in June, two men were bashed on the intersection of Bay Street and Wharf Street while trying to hail a cab.

A Tweed man was left with a broken jaw and broken ribs after he was gang-bashed by up to eight youths on Griffith Street in December.

Space-age reaches the Tweed

Space-age reaches the Tweed

Unique Duranbah Hill home nears completion.

Tweed rallies to help sick Caitlin

Tweed rallies to help sick Caitlin

Can you spare a few dollars?

Local Partners