Mum faces terrifying ordeal after being scratched by bat
MUM Clare Croft has issued a warning for people to steer clear of bats after an unlikely encounter resulted in a terrifying medical ordeal.
Mrs Croft, from Miles on the Western Downs, was enjoying a relaxing afternoon at the Miles pool on Saturday afternoon when, while walking along a path, she felt something crawl up her leg.
"I swung around and it fell down and then this bat was lying on its back on the ground," she said.
Mrs Croft was supervising her two young children at the time and, despite noticing a light scratch on her leg from the bat, she turned her attention back to her children.
It wasn't until hours later when her husband asked about the scratch that he suggested it could be something to worry about.
The couple called Queensland Health's 13health hotline, which confirmed Mr Croft's fears.
"They were quite concerned," Mrs Croft said.
TOP STORIES ONLINE
- VIDEO: Suburban street brawl captured on camera
- Toddler in intensive care after marathon brain surgery
- Mayor, Sommerfield our most expensive councillors
- Video of boy being assaulted brings ‘strong action’
- Toowoomba man on attempted murder for bedroom attack
- Cutting out the pain: rise in self harm
- VIDEO: Ripley's believe it or not as 'tornado' hits town
Bats have the potential to carry lyssavirus, which can be transmitted to humans causing serious illness and possibly death.
Within hours Queensland Health had arranged for a special vaccine to be couriered to Chinchilla Hospital from Brisbane.
On Sunday afternoon, Mrs Croft endured a series of 11 injections.
She returned to hospital yesterday and will return again on the next two Sundays for further treatment.
Mrs Croft thanked staff at both 13health and Chinchilla Hospital for nursing her through the ideal.
"I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it," she said.
- Can be transmitted from bats to humans from a bite or scratch
- If bitten or scratched, immediately wash the wound with soap and water for at least five minutes and apply antiseptic after washing
- Seek medical assistance immediately