Myer thrives in Mackay
THERE is one big rule in the Brookes family - you have to buy your clothes at Myer.
Patriarch and Myer chief executive officer Bernie Brookes said his motto was "shop where you work".
Occasionally his 26-year-old son goes rogue and purchases something from the internet.
The head of one of Australia's most popular department stores, Mr Brookes is extremely happy with the reception and achievements of the new Mackay Myer branch.
"When we built the Mackay store we thought it would potentially be a $28-$30million a year turnover store," Mr Brookes said.
It's just more than two months since the doors opened and the store is already exceeding expectations.
"Each week it's beat its budget," he said.
Mackay's Myer is proving to be a "real honey pot for the bees" with people travelling from far and wide to shop at the store.
"The catchment area has surprised us," Mr Brookes said.
Mackay was chosen as an optimal location for a Myer store after data showed many Myer one cardholders lived in the region, but needed to travel to Cairns or Maroochydore to shop at a Myer store.
"There are five million Myer one cards in Australia and we can track where they spend money at Myer," he said.
Mr Brookes said there was also a gap in the markets for a premium fashion oriented outlet.
"There are some good specialty businesses but no department store selling quality premium product," he said.
Women have really taken to the new store, with huge sales in the ladies' fashion and accessories.
"We've got one of our best store teams in Mackay," Mr Brookes said.
He attributes Myer Mackay's success to the team on the ground.
"Ultimately the success or failure of the business is about the quality of the people," Mr Brookes said.
More About Myer
- Myer is holding a massive stocktake sale during the week after Christmas.
- There will be more than $300,000 worth of stock in Mackay for the sale.
- There will be women's accessories and apparel and menswear up to 50% off.
- Myer is expecting more than 20,000 people to visit the store during the stocktake sale week.
- The team is hard at work preparing for the event, which Myer chief executive officer said is even bigger than the Christmas rush.