NBN’s tower hits backlash from Burringbar community
THE Burringbar site for the first of up to 20 wireless broadband towers proposed for the National Broadband Network in Tweed has been revealed, to a backlash from many.
NBNCo are believed to pay around $10,000 a year to the hosts of the $200,000 towers that deliver high-speed broadband services to less populated parts for the $37.4 billion national NBN project.
A development application has been lodged by NBNCo contractor Visionstream for a 30m tower at 79 Burringbar Rd.
It's on a 22ha property owned by Edward Kuipers and Deborah Burton.
Ms Burton declined to comment when contacted by My Daily News.
Residents fear the tower would be an eyesore, may lower the value of homes and pose a health risk.
Kelly Woolmer said the tower was just 650m from her home and Burringbar Public School which her two children attend as well as a preschool and sporting club.
Jackie Tilsley said the tower would be just 500m from her home and as close as 150m to some others.
Ms Tilsley said she had so far spoken to more than 16 residents who were opposed to it.
She said they were alerted by a letter from council last Wednesday and had just two weeks to lodge a submission against it, but not all those affected had received the notification.
"For the people whose homes are directly facing it, it will definitely devalue their homes," she said.
"It's on the main road as you drive through Burringbar so it's an eyesore."
In its DA, NBN Co says the site is located to minimise visual impact.
It said the facility would operate within all current and relevant standards.
It said the maximum electromagnetic levels would be well within the safe public exposure limits set by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency.
A council spokeswoman urged residents to lodge a submission about the DA by Wednesday.