Noble Park Estate expansion rejected by Tweed Shire
TWEED Shire councillors voted to deny a 32-homesite expansion to the Noble Park Estate but the fight is far from over.
The council voted four to two to reject the application that council officers had recommended for approval.
Mayor Barry Longland said the decision, which had previously been deferred, was a difficult one.
"I have some difficulties with this one," Cr Longland said.
"There is a significant loss of amenities through this proposal."
After rejecting the officers' recommendation, Councillor Katie Milne offered an amendment that explained the reason for the councillors' rejection of the application, including loss of amenities, noise, and environmental damage to a regional wildlife corridor.
"This is a refusal document that was based on the refusal from the Joint Regional Planning Panel," Cr Milne said.
This application comes after the developer applied in 2009 for 45 homesites on the same piece of land that the NSW government's Joint Regional Planning Panel refused.
The council recommended the 2009 application be approved but that recommendation was ignored by the state's planning panel.
Nobel Park residents had spoken to the councillors during a public access meeting on Tuesday citing concerns about amenity loss.
Developer Keith Noble was in the public gallery to hear the council's decision.
"We are very disappointed of course," Mr Noble said.
"We have done a very good job talking with council.
"All the boxes were ticked as per the plan."
Mr Noble said the decision would be contested in the NSW Land and Environment Court.