NRL shocks come out of nowhere
WAYNE Bennett has rejected a bombshell report on the Channel 9 Footy Show on Thursday night suggesting Parramatta is courting the Brisbane coach.
Bennett has been at the centre of a coaching drama involving Melbourne mentor Craig Bellamy, but now the Eels have reportedly entered the fray.
The Broncos approached Bellamy about his interest in taking over from Bennett at Red Hill but the 58-year-old is yet to make a decision about whether he will stay at the Storm or move north.
Bennett and Brisbane CEO Paul White have both said Bennett will see out his contract - which runs until the end of the 2019 season. That would mean Bellamy - off contract with the Storm at the end of this year - would have to wait a year before taking over in 2020.
But Channel 9 rugby league reporter Ben Dobbin said if circumstances change, Bennett could find a home in western Sydney next year.
"The Parramatta Eels have made an approach to Wayne Bennett to potentially coach there in 2019," Dobbin said.
"Obviously Bennett is on contract and still contracted to the Brisbane Broncos but we're in this waiting, holding pattern at the moment waiting to see what happens with Craig Bellamy and whether or not he comes to the Broncos.
"If he does come to the Broncos, expect to see Wayne Bennett at Parramatta some time soon after that."
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Bennett shut down the possibility of joining the Eels, once again reaffirming the fact he is contracted to the Broncos next year.
Parramatta has endured a horrible 2018. Touted as top-four finishers and premiership contenders, the Eels sit bottom of the ladder with just three wins from 15 games.
FARAH SET FOR SHOCK RETURN TO TIGERLAND?
Robbie Farah could be returning to the Wests Tigers before the end of the month, with reports that he has reached out to coach Ivan Cleary.
Fairfax Media says Farah's current club, South Sydney, wouldn't stand in the veteran hooker's way if he requested a release by the June 30 transfer deadline.
Farah was a key member of the Tigers' 2005 premiership side, but his last few years at the club were dogged by controversy, most notably when then-coach Jason Taylor dropped him to reserve grade in 2016.
This year he has suffered the same fate at the Rabbitohs, spending much of the year playing for feeder side North Sydney behind NSW Origin hooker Damien Cook.
The Daily Telegraph reports Tigers officials will meet today to discuss the possibility of Farah returning to Concord.
In other news involving the Tigers, Bulldogs coach Dean Pay confirmed fullback Moses Mbye would play his final game for Canterbury this weekend against the Titans before moving across to the joint-venture club.
Earlier this season Mbye signed a four-year deal to play for the Tigers in 2019 and while his plan was to see out the season with the Dogs, salary cap pressure has forced him into a mid-year switch.
Tigers coach Ivan Cleary was thrilled with the move.
"Moses is an impressive young man and we're really happy that he's able to join us at this stage of the season," Cleary said in a statement released by the club on Friday morning.
"We look forward to having him join the club in the coming days and get into training with his new teammates."
Canterbury needs to shed players in order to be salary cap compliant in 2019, having over-estimated what the cap would be next season. Mbye has been the Bulldogs' most potent attacking weapon this season but the club can no longer afford to keep him.
There are rumours former Tigers captain Aaron Woods - who is in the first year of what was supposed to be a four-year stint with the Bulldogs - may also be forced out.
Reports have suggested Woods may follow Mbye out the door without even seeing out the season. Cronulla has firmed as likely home for the representative star and he may find himself at the Sharks before the June 30 deadline.
- with AAP