Centaur student captains Martin Xiao, Lilee Attenborough Doyle and Amber Maclean, with Healthy Harold, are preparing for the Life Education bike ride.
Centaur student captains Martin Xiao, Lilee Attenborough Doyle and Amber Maclean, with Healthy Harold, are preparing for the Life Education bike ride. Blainey Woodham

On your bike for Healthy Harold

A NEW fundraising initiative called Wheels for Life, developed by the Tweed/ Byron Life Action Group in cooperation with the Murwillumbah Lions Club, was launched today at Centaur Primary School in Banora Point.

The Life Education initiative aims to raise funds through a cycle-a-thon to be held at Lundberg Dr at Murwillumbah's industrial estate on Sunday, October 21, at 8.30am.

The event will feature a cycling race for teams from schools and participants will be asked to sign up sponsors who will donate cash for kilometres.

Schools will receive 40% of the sponsorship money they raise and the remaining 60% will go to the Tweed/Byron Life Action Group to keep Life Education's mobile education centre on the road and able to visit local schools.

Former mayor of Tweed Max Boyd acted as master of ceremonies at the launch and introduced NSW Life Education CEO Jay Basick who presented a number of plagues and certificates of appreciation to organisations and individuals who have supported Life Education over the past 33 years.

Penny Robinson accepted a certificate of appreciation on behalf of her mother Judy Saunders, who was instrumental in getting Life Education up and running on the North Coast and passed away recently.

Ms Robinson recalled a conversation between her mother and Life Education founder Ted Noffs who told Ms Saunders he thought it was impossible to get the infrastructure and equipment in place for the organisation to operate in the Tweed.

Displaying her typical commitment and passion, Ms Saunders replied "we just have to find a way."

Tweed mayor Barry Longland was presented with a plague in recognition of the support council had provided to Life Education over the years.

Cr Longland said he was proud to see council's logo on the side of Life Education's mobile learning centre and promised continued support for the organisation.

Byron Shire Council acting general manager Ray Darney accepted a plaque of appreciation on behalf of the Byron council and Southern Cross Credit Union business development officer Stephen Distant was presented with a special corporate plaque to thank the union for its help.

Tweed MP Geoff Provest received a plaque for his support and announced he had accepted the role of Life Education ambassador.

Mr Provest said he was honoured to be recognised for his work and believed Life Education had a bright future.



Why the Prime Minister is on the Northern Rivers today

Premium Content Why the Prime Minister is on the Northern Rivers today

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has flown into the North Coast.

Northern Rivers postgraduates master their next move

Premium Content Northern Rivers postgraduates master their next move

Southern Cross University has helped hundreds of postgraduate students build their...

Special screening of Laura’s Choice tells euthanasia story

Premium Content Special screening of Laura’s Choice tells euthanasia story

The film will have a special screening next week.