Panels on a home’s roof spark small fire

SOLAR panels have caused the roof of a Tinbeerwah home to catch alight yesterday morning.

Fire crews, police and ambulance officers attended the blaze on Pacific View Dr at 9am before handing over to the Electrical Safety Office who worked for about an hour to get the fire under control. They managed to confine the fire to just the roof of the house.

Clean Energy Council media manager Mark Bretherton said initial reports there was an explosion at the house would not have been caused by the solar panels but faulty electricals.

"I've never heard of solar panels exploding. It's very unlikely and I can't see how they would," he said.

"What sometimes happens is if a switch hasn't been installed properly you might get a small fire but there's only been a handful of incidents in the history of the industry."

The SunWorks Solar Centre owner Mike Trust said the incident was no cause for alarm among solar panel users and the devices were safe. "It's more likely that your fridge or tumble drier will catch on fire."



Where did Clarrie Hall Dam get its name from?

Where did Clarrie Hall Dam get its name from?

TALKING HISTORY: Max Boyd remembers his mentor and mate Clarrie Hall

Four things to do this weekend

Four things to do this weekend

There's plenty happening across the Tweed this weekend

Jon prepares to lose his locks on his own terms

Jon prepares to lose his locks on his own terms

Bilambil man to cut dreadlocks to raise money for cancer

Local Partners