A house fire in Caloundra where a dog died after it was unable to evacuate. Photo: John McCutcheon / Sunshine Coast Daily
A house fire in Caloundra where a dog died after it was unable to evacuate. Photo: John McCutcheon / Sunshine Coast Daily john mccutcheon

Firies rescue dog after blaze tears through home

PARAMEDICS gave a pet dog first-aid after a fire ripped through a house at Moffat Beach, killing its mate.

The two dogs were trapped on the upper level of the Maltman St North home, which was significantly damaged by the fire.

A woman raised the alarm shortly before 9am yesterday after her son noticed flames in the laundry.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Caloundra station officer Robert Giffin said both occupants immediately had evacuated the house but the dogs had been caught inside.

Mr Giffin said both levels of the two-storey home had been well involved when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus had entered the home as soon as it was safe and found the two dogs upstairs, he said.

The surviving dog, a female pug, was taken to a veterinary surgery after being given some oxygen, water and cuddles, and was expected to be kept in for observation overnight.

Kawana ambulance station officer-in-charge Edlund Kent-Brown said it was not usual for paramedics to treat animals as it was the humane and responsible thing to do. "It's something we don't come across every day," he said.

The occupants of the home sat on a brick wall outside while firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze but were too upset to speak to the waiting media.

A house fire in Caloundra where a dog died after it was unable to evacuate. Photo: John McCutcheon / Sunshine Coast Daily
A house fire in Caloundra where a dog died after it was unable to evacuate. Photo: John McCutcheon / Sunshine Coast Daily john mccutcheon

Firefighters were forced to dampen down the roof when flames flared in dried leaves in the gutter.

The home did not appear from the street to be badly damaged but was rendered unlivable for the moment.

"There's a fair amount of damage to the eastern end of the structure, lower and upper levels," Mr Giffin said.

He said the home had been fitted with smoke alarms but they had not sounded.

Police said there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.

District duty officer Senior Sergeant Scott Nolan said initial investigations indicated that a candle in a downstairs bedroom could have started the fire. He warned people to be vigilant when using candles and not leave them unattended.



Council appoints all female leadership team again

Council appoints all female leadership team again

Cr Katie Milne retains her position of mayor

Aged care sector put under the microscope to help pensioners

Aged care sector put under the microscope to help pensioners

A Royal Commission into aged care sector was launched on Sunday

The new scam tricking Tweed residents

The new scam tricking Tweed residents

Police have received several reports about the scam.

Local Partners