Pensioners welcome rise
SOUTH Tweed pensioner advocate Don Morgan says he is happy with the government's pension increase that will begin on regular payment day in the next fortnight.
Richmond MP Justine Elliot yesterday announced more than 27,300 pensioners in her electorate would benefit from an increase in their pension.
The pension will increase for around 3.3 million age pensioners, disability support pensioners, carers, wife and widow pensioners and veteran income support.
Ms Elliott said the increase would provide much-needed support for people on the far north coast.
“We have listened to the concerns of local pensioners and taken decisive action to provide security and certainty for pensioners now, and into the future,” Ms Elliott said.
A single pensioner on the maximum rate will receive:
- an increase of $60 per fortnight in the base pension;
- an increase of $5 per fortnight in the new Pension Supplement; and
- indexation increases of $5.50 per fortnight in the base pension and $0.33 per fortnight in the Pension Supplement.
This is a total increase for single pensioners on the maximum rate of $70.83 per fortnight, bringing total pension payments to $671.90 per fortnight. Pension payments for singles are now set at two thirds of the rate paid to couples combined.
Couple pensioners combined on the maximum rate of the pension will receive:
- an increase of $20.30 per fortnight in the new Pension Supplement; and
- indexation increases of $9.20 per fortnight in the base pension and $0.43 per fortnight in the Pension Supplement.
This is a total increase for couple pensioners combined on the maximum rate of $29.93 per fortnight, bringing total pension payments to $1013 per fortnight.
Mr Morgan said although the increase was never enough the community was happy.
“We can't be greedy the way the economy is,” he said.
“I would like to see more but at the moment we are doing all right.”
Mr Morgan said he had not received any complaints from the community that the increase was not enough.
“I think everybody is quite happy and the increase is feasible,” he said.