Road spikes used to stop stolen car after 150km police chase

UPDATE 11.30am: ROAD spikes eventually stopped an allegedly stolen BMW across the Queensland border after a number of unsuccessful attempts by police during a 150km pursuit from north of Harwood to Terranora.

A police media spokeswoman said a man and a woman were in custody following the pursuit which started before 9am and went for about an hour.

"Highway patrol officers noticed a 2014 black BMW bearing Queensland registration plates travelling on the highway south of Tabbimoble," the spokeswoman said.

"A check of the registration confirmed the vehicle had been reported stolen.

"A short pursuit commenced, however it was quickly terminated due to the alleged manner of driving."

The spokeswoman said as the vehicle travelled north of Woodburn toward Wardell a highway patrol vehicle was waiting with road spikes.

"The pursuit re-engaged south of Wardell and police attempted to deploy road spikes to stop the car on several occasions."

At 9.12am the Queensland Polair helicopter sighted the car and continued to follow the vehicle until it was stopped over the border.

"The car continued to travel north, eventually stopping on the side of the M1 motorway just south of the Terranora exit," the spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman said a man and woman; both aged 25, from the Brisbane suburb of Woodridge, were arrested and taken to Tweed Heads police station where they were assisting police with their enquiries.

Original report: TWO people have been arrested following 150km long police pursuit from Harwood across the Queensland border to Terranora Creek.

It is still unknown why the vehicle came to police attention, or what type of vehicle it was.

Multiple police vehicles, the Queensland Polair helicopter, a police dog unit and road spikes were all involved in eventually bringing the vehicle to a stop.

Road spikes were deployed successfully just north of the Duranbah Tunnel at 9.25 am, but the vehicle continued to drive north for several kilometres until it stopped.

As Polair monitored the pursuit from the sky, police reported smoke coming from the front tyres of the car at 9.30 am.

A police officer who sighted the vehicle at Harwood earlier provided a description of the driver as a man, of possible European appearance, with short black hair.

The vehicle eventually pulled over just south of the Terranora Creek exit and police quickly arrested the two occupants.

They were taken by police vehicles from Tweed Heads and Brunswick Heads to Tweed police station where they are assisting police with their enquiries.

More updates as they come to hand.

Inside of brothel looks ‘like a bad 70s porno’

Premium Content Inside of brothel looks ‘like a bad 70s porno’

Our readers thoughts on running a brothel

‘Inventive and versatile’ performers needed

Premium Content ‘Inventive and versatile’ performers needed

Individual auditions will be held in May and they must be booked online.

Call to defer Murwillumbah school closures

Premium Content Call to defer Murwillumbah school closures

The Tweed Shire Council has called on the state defer the Murwillumbah Education...