A 46-YEAR-old man was airlifted from Pumpenbil to Brisbane with burns to 50% of his body after a gas explosion at his home.

The explosion occurred at a house on Crams Rd.

Tweed Police said early investigations show the man was home alone and could smell gas before lighting a cigarette which caused an explosion that destroyed the house.

The explosion occurred about 12.30am on Saturday.

Westpac Rescue Helicopter Northern Region transported the man at 1.50am to Royal Brisbane Hospital.

"The crew was assisted by the use of night vision goggles to find the location," spokeswoman said.

According to police, the man was receiving treatment for burns.



DIY Indi pays it all the way to the USA

DIY Indi pays it all the way to the USA

Tweed skate prodigy to get a taste of the big time

Tweed police are now wearing body cameras

Tweed police are now wearing body cameras

Body cameras are now being used to improve safety.

Fitzpatrick fights way back into green and gold

Fitzpatrick fights way back into green and gold

A fit and firing Madison Fitzpatrick is headed for the world cup

Local Partners