Man's alleged threats against partner lead to police siege

Police TRG members stormed a property to end a siege at Driver early Sunday morning.
Police TRG members stormed a property to end a siege at Driver early Sunday morning.

A SUBURBAN street in Driver was locked down for several hours overnight following reports a man was armed with a shotgun and had made threats against his partner.

Police were called to the Widdup Cres address at about 5pm on Saturday where negotiators attempted to communicate with the man before Tactical Response Group members stormed the property at about 3.20am.

A 28-year-old man was arrested and taken to the Royal Darwin Hospital while his 35-year-old partner was unharmed.

Territory Duty Superintendent Robert Burgoyne said a subsequent search of the property indicated the man had not actually been armed at any time during the siege.

"During the siege communication with the male was difficult, he refused to engage, that's why it was extended, but he didn't make any further threats or brandish a weapon during the siege," he said.

"A check of the entry to the house indicated the safe where the gun was kept was closed and locked so we don't believe that he did actually have a firearm during the time."

Superintendent Burgoyne said the man frequently came out on the balcony of the property and yelled out during the night.

"There is no indication that he ever at the firearm in his actual possession at any stage during the siege but obviously the 35-year-old partner did know that he had a firearm so it wouldn't have helped her disposition very much," he said.

No charges have been laid.

Topics:  domestic violence dv editors picks police siege shotgun

News Corp Australia

Marine Rescue leads to life of memories at sea

BON VOYAGE: Bernie Gabriel reflects on his time in the Marine Rescue NSW Service.

Bernie Gabriel looks back on early days.

Long road ahead to ease pain of stabbing death

Imogen Larter with horse Nelson.

Victim's family tells of heartache, healing

Local Partners