Kiera Grieve received burns after a camp stove exploded. Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin
Kiera Grieve received burns after a camp stove exploded. Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin Allan Reinikka

Portable stove explosion burns Rocky girl's legs and arm

A LOUD explosion and large, shooting flames.

That is all 18-year-old Kiera Grieve remembers of the moment a portable stove cooker exploded on her campfire.

It was supposed to be a camping trip to celebrate the long weekend, but after the accident on Saturday night, Kiera spent most of it in Rockhampton Hospital with first and second degree burns to 9% of her body.

Kiera was with a group of friends on a property near The Caves when the explosion happened.

She was about 2m away from the fire when the cooker they were using to make dinner exploded, shooting flames into the air.

"All I remember is sitting on top of the ute, and then big flames went up when the canister blew up," she said.

Kiera has injuries to both her legs and her left arm, and her dressings have to be changed daily.

Nurses took photos of her injuries and sent them to the burns unit in Brisbane to determine if Kiera should be transported there for further treatment. She was with a group of friends on a property near the Caves when the explosion happened, but fortunately no one else was injured.

CAMPFIRE SAFETY

Tips from the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service:

  • Fire should be lit in a cleared area where there are no overhanging branches and minimal grass and scrub
  • Ensure the campfire is a safe distance from tents, and that any camping equipment is stored away from it - especially flammable items
  • Where possible use a fireplace such as a barbecue pit, or surround the fire with large rocks
  • Never use any kind of flammable liquid on a fire, even when trying to start it
  • Always put a campfire out with water - sand or dirt retains heat and can cause significant injuries if uncovered.
  • Ensure gas cylinders, hoses and camping equipment is tested before going on a trip
  • In case of a fire call 000, keep bystanders away and turn off the cylinder valve. If it is safe to do, cool cylinders with water, and if it's not stand well away


Boxing to bust PWS

Boxing to bust PWS

'Twinkle Toes' Shaine shines his light on a good cause

Four things to do this weekend

Four things to do this weekend

Looking for something to do?

Artists reveal unique palettes for Murwillumbah Art Trail

Artists reveal unique palettes for Murwillumbah Art Trail

Check out this Murwillumbah Art Trail exhibition

Local Partners