Prince Philip facing two weeks in hospital

THE Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to the London Clinic for an exploratory operation on his abdomen, where he is expected to remain for two weeks, Buckingham Palace said tonight.

Philip's admission to hospital was shortly after he attended a Buckingham Palace garden party this afternoon.

The Duke, who turns 92 on June 10, had missed an engagement at the palace on Monday night because he was feeling "under the weather".

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said the planned admission came after this afternoon's garden party and added: "He is in very good health."

The operation will take place tomorrow, following the investigations that were carried out over the past week.

The Prince's illness earlier this week is not thought to be connected to his admission to hospital.

Prime Minister David Cameron sent Philip his good wishes, writing on Twitter: "My best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh who is in hospital tonight. I hope he has a swift recovery."

Updates at The Independent



Hospital site petition is gaining traction

Hospital site petition is gaining traction

Relocate team confident of gaining 10,000 signatures.

Schoolboys shine in Australian champs at Cudgen

Schoolboys shine in Australian champs at Cudgen

National championships held in Tweed declared a resounding success

Chinderah's $7.25 million shopping village green-lighted

Chinderah's $7.25 million shopping village green-lighted

Councillors voted 5-2 in favour of the concept development

Local Partners