Provest to push town sewerage
TWEED Nationals MP Geoff Provest has announced he will push for sewerage systems in Burringbar and Mooball to be completed before the end of the year.
Mr Provest said many regional towns had been paying surcharges on their rates for up to eight years, and that if a Coalition government is elected on Saturday, regional areas will finally receive the $400 million in sewerage systems they were promised.
“Residents have been paying through the nose for years, but the NSW Labor Government consistently failed to deliver,” Mr Provest said.
“They just sat on their hands. We want to do it sooner rather than later. I would like to see it completed before the end of the year.
“But it depends on what the council has in their plans and if there are any council delays as the project is run in conjunction with them.”
Mr Provest said the areas of Burringbar and Mooball were the most in need, relying on septic tanks for waste disposal.
“In floods and heavy rains, septic tanks run into the area and down into Pottsville Creek, which is terrible for the environment,” Mr Provest said.
“They are deeply affected.
“It's a big win for the residents out there, but also a big win for our local environment.”
Mr Provest said the NSW Country Town Water and Sewerage Supply program had suffered from chronic underspending.
“Established with an annual budget of $85 million and meant to conclude as far back as 2003/2004, Labor has never lived up to its commitment,” Mr Provest said.
“Some six years after it was scheduled for completion a staggering $400 million promised for improvements to country town and water and sewerage remain unallocated.”
The Coalition's policy states that if elected the Liberal and Nationals will ensure regional areas have secure and potable long-term water supplies with a vision 50 years into the future, and will fund all existing Country Town Water and Sewerage Supply projects.