Questions to be asked about bushfire cause

THERE will be an investigation into the fire west of Mullumbimby that destroyed more than 340 hectares of bush and forced families to flee their homes.

The Rural Fire Service said there was no clear indication of how the blaze started, which yesterday drew on the resources of more than 40 firefighters, three aircraft, two bulldozers and more than 10 fire tankers.

“It's been earmarked for fire investigation,” RFS manager David Cook said.

The fire, which began in the late-night heat of Monday, was still being successfully contained by back-burning and water last night.

Numerous families living in the vicinity of Koonyum Range Road opted to evacuate their homes as the flames approached on Tuesday and yesterday, but no residences had been engulfed by late yesterday.

By the afternoon, firefighters were working from residential properties to burn back into a break-away fire near Yankee Creek, but the RFS was confident they would bring it under control.



Playing tricks on yourself to get healthy

Playing tricks on yourself to get healthy

Living Naturally with Olwen Anderson

Behind enemy lines: digger looks back on secret unit

Behind enemy lines: digger looks back on secret unit

Pottsville's Jim Banks will be the guest of honour at Anzac service

Holidaying at Fingal in 1913

Holidaying at Fingal in 1913

Talking History: Early photographers who capture spirit of the Tweed

Local Partners