Residents urged to rev up protest
TWEED residents opposed to last year’s controversial world championship car rally need to “keep the pressure up if they don’t want to see the Tweed become the new home of NSW motorsport”.
That is the warning from No Rally Group spokesperson Andrea Vickers following this week’s hearings by the NSW Government-appointed rally review team, which held meetings in Murwillumbah and Kyogle.
Despite the review panel listening to protesters’ concerns at Tweed Shire Council’s chambers on Wednesday, Ms Vickers said many feared there would not be a “proper cost-benefit analysis”.
They also felt final decisions would be made “far away in State Parliament, with all the same undemocratic arrangements that allowed the Motor Sports Act to take our rights away”.
Ms Vickers said the main message from the No Rally Group to the review panel was that opposition to the rally would not go away.
“As a community we will only become more committed, more organised, and more able to oppose the next attempt to hold a rally here,” she said.
Another rally opponent, Scott Sledge yesterday said a Kingscliff community group had also joined opposition to any future rally.
He said the Kingscliff Ratepayers and Progress Association voted on Monday night to send a submission to the review team.
It would argue that neither Kingscliff nor the region had gained a fraction of the enormous economic benefit promised by rally promoters, and the rally had caused “significant noise, inconvenience and social discord which should not be repeated”.
Association president Kim Holdom said members wanted events “more fitting to the lifestyle of Kingscliff”.
Mr Sledge said the community watchdog group Tweed Monitor had surveyed local business and found only 23 per cent reported any gain at all from the rally.