Safety concerns force Cup cancellation

IT was ironic that the sun was out and conditions were near perfect yesterday, less than 24 hours after the Tweed River Jockey Club (TRJC) Murwillumbah Cup meeting was called off due to safety concerns.

TRJC officials and Racing NSW stewards walked the track Saturday and even ran a couple of horses on it to see if yesterday's meeting could proceed.

However, the inspection team determined that sections of the track were too wet for racing.

Jockey club secretary Steve Huggins said that it was decided by all concerned that in the interests of safety to the jockeys and horses, the meeting should be called off.

Jockey club and Racing NSW officials will decide later this week whether the possibility exists for the rescheduling of some of the Cup meeting's feature races.