Australia wins bronze at Winter Olympics
SCOTTY James has taken bronze in a thrilling halfpipe final with Shaun White becoming the first American to win gold at three different Olympic Games.
Both James and White nailed their first runs to take the top two positions after the first round but then the rising star from Japan Ayumu Hirano produced a massive effort with his second run to take the lead throwing back- to-back 1440-degree spins.
White (94.25) led after each competitor's opening attempt, ahead of James who was second.
James ran second last of the 12 competitors on each of the three runs and opened with a score of 92.
James' second and third runs were disappointing. He only scored 81.75 after a messy landing on his final trick of his second run before crashing out in his third.
White's final run of the day delivered the gold medal, his 97.75 enough to take the gold over rising star Hirano with James finishing third.
The final was delayed after Japanese snowboarder fell hard on his second run and was taken to hospital with a hip injury.
The other Aussie in the event, Kent Callister, failed to fire.
His first run was a throwaway as he lost momentum on one turn and was only scored a 20.
He was better on his second but still not clean, recording a score of 62.
He failed to improve his position with his third run.
1. Shaun White (USA) - 94.25, 55, 97.75*
2. Ayumu Hirano (Japan) - 35.25, 95.25*, 43.25
3. Scotty James (Australia) - 92*, 81.75, 40.25
4. Ben Ferguson (USA) - 43, 83.5, 90.75*
5. Patrick Burgener (Switzerland) - 84, 51, 89.75*
6. Chase Josey (USA) - 87.75, 52.25, 88.0*
7. Raibu Katayama (Japan) - 85.75, 25, 87*
8. Jake Pates (USA) - 47, 82.25*, 27
9. Jan Scherrer (Switzerland) - 31.25, 80.5*, 70.75
10. Kent Callister (Australia) - 20, 62*, 56.75
11. Yuto Totsuka (Japan) - 39.25*, 7, DNS
12. Peetu Piiroinen (Finland) - 4.5, 12.75, 13.5*