Second Dylan concert on the agenda
BOB Dylan may still play a second Bluesfest show in Byron Bay next Easter, following the scheduling of an extraordinary meeting of Byron Shire Council next Thursday.
Councillors have been called back from holidays to vote on an application by Bluesfest to extend the iconic festival to a sixth day for 2011.
Organisers want to use the substituted public holiday on April 26 to put on a second Bob Dylan concert, as demand for tickets to see the legend- ary musician was huge, causing thousands to miss out first time around.
Council staff have again recommended that consent be granted and the Roads and Traffic Authority has already approved the festival extension from a traffic perspective.
Byron Shire Mayor Jan Barham said the meeting only needed five councillors to approve the application, and indications were that seven councillors would attend.
The council voted earlier this month to defer until February a decision on Bluesfest’s application to extend the festival.
Bluesfest director Peter Noble blamed a minority of councillors for the delay and expressed extreme frustration after being told by council staff in early November that the decision should only take a few weeks.
Mr Noble said business was doing it tough and the day would bring in an extra $2-$3 million for the local economy.