Triathlon winner James Seear comes back strongly from a broken collarbone.
Triathlon winner James Seear comes back strongly from a broken collarbone. John Gass

Seear surges to triathlon victory

JAMES Seear returned from a broken collarbone to win the almost-Olympic distance men’s triathlon at Kingscliff yesterday.

It was on a ride through the Tweed in mid-December Seear hit a snake on Tweed Valley Way and crashed.

The 24-year-old needed 11 screws and a plate to repair the broken collarbone he suffered in the incident.

The Puresport Kingscliff Triathlon was the perfect event for Seear to make his competitive return to the sport and he showed he was still a force to be reckoned with after three months out with injury.

Brisbane-based Seear (1.25:26) beat Currumbin’s Max Theodore (time unknown) and Hervey Bay’s James Trevorrow (1.26:58) to be top of the podium.

“I am pretty happy, I am returning from the crash I had here in mid-December and it is good preparation for World Cup event in Mooloolaba in a couple of weeks, which is a crucial Olympic qualifier,” he said. “It was good to have a hit-out. The first race back is always a big shock to the system, so it was good to get that out.”

Seear said he enjoyed being on the Tweed Coast and had fun there yesterday.

“It is nice to see such a big turnout here at Kingscliff, it’s a good place to have an event like this and the people are getting behind it.”

About 800 people competed in the event, after there was a rush of entries in the final days before the event.

A wet road and outgoing tide made for challenging conditions.

Cudgen Creek’s rushing tide made the paddle to the first buoy a tough one. The swimmers were with the tide on the upstream paddle, then hit the wall again when they turned back against the tide for the final leg of the swim.

Seear led after the swim, but dropped to fourth after the bike leg.

“I took a couple of laps but once the legs were going, I pushed on and rode hard into the change,” he said.

Eventual second place-getter Trevorrow, 19, was pushing Seer hard and had the lead heading into the run. But Seear recorded the fastest run of the event to power past Treverrow and win by one minute and 32 seconds.

“I was running with the wind and absolutely nailing it, running out there was good fun,” Seear said.

Rounding out the top 10 open competitors were Daniel Edey (1:28:36), Brad Eastwood (1.29:05), Peter Foster (1.29:13), Adam Gordon (1.29:44), Alex Rigby (1.30:41), Robert Harris (1.31:27) and Max Theodore (1.42:20).

Airport's stray items are no lost cause

Airport's stray items are no lost cause

Tweed charity relocates lost property to those in need

Kingswood won't stop moving

Kingswood won't stop moving

Aussie rockers roll into the Northern Rivers this weekend

Winter cold snap to sweep across NSW

Winter cold snap to sweep across NSW

This may not be the last we’ve seen of the cold this year.

Local Partners