Seniors set for a busy week
A JAM-packed Seniors Week was launched yesterday at the Aveo Mountain View Retirement Village in Murwillumbah.
More than 100 seniors filled the community hall to enjoy a free afternoon of refreshments and entertainment by professional opera performers Liza Beamish and Lachlan Baker.
Tweed Shire Seniors Week, which runs until March 22, promises to be a busy time, with a comedy night and variety concerts among the highlights planned.
Tweed Shire Senior Citizens Week committees, from both Murwillumbah and Tweed Heads, and council officers have worked with many groups and community organisations to provide an exciting and varied program.
New events this year include the launch of the Pottsville Historical Walk, an afternoon of jazz at Tweed Valley Jazz Club, the chance to sail radio-controlled yachts, to discover new activities at the Autumn Club Open Day, or to learn to play carpet bowls at Uki.
Musical performances on the program range from The Tweed Links Quartet concert to a seniors concert featuring Variety Plus at Coolangatta Senior Citizens Centre.
There are also several events at local primary schools, a fun morning tea and entertainment at the Oxley Club in Bray Park, and once again Noble Lakeside Park is holding “Seniors on Parade”, featuring a wonderful line-up of entertainment and a lunch. By popular demand, hospitality students at Lindisfarne Anglican Grammar School, Tweed Valley College and Kingscliff TAFE will again hold delicious luncheons for seniors.
Interesting health initiatives such as gentle exercise, aqua aerobics and tai chi will be avail- able to try.
Australian Hearing will conduct free hearing screenings at Tweed Heads and Palm Beach.
Also on the program is a Rainforest Cruise and a Tropical Lunch- eon Cruise on the Tweed River and bus trips to many interesting places including Mount Tamborine, Sanctuary Cove, Brisbane City, Mount Coot-tha, Port of Brisbane, Ballina, Lennox Head and rural villages, including a special visit to Chillingham for a bush food talk.
For the techno-minded, Banora Point Community Centre will conduct mobile phone workshops and Tweed, Kingscliff and Murwillumbah libraries will hold computer information sessions so senior citizens can learn about social networking and how to speak techno-lingo with their grandchildren. Also at the Tweed Heads and Murwillumbah libraries, author Doreen Wendt-Weir will talk about her book, Sex in Your Seventies.
All these activities and many more are possible following almost a year of fundraising by the Tweed Seniors Week Committee. A detailed copy of the program is available on council's website at www.tweed.nsw.gov.au
Deputy mayor Barry Longland and Lismore MP Thomas George were among the guest speakers at yesterday's official launch.
- Kingscliff Historical Walk, 8am, Kingscliff Surf Club.
- Oxley Club, 10am-noon, SDA Hall, Elouera Terrace, Bray Park. Morning tea and entertainment.
- Concert, 1pm (Qld time), Coolangatta Senior Citizens Centre, variety concert.
- Seniors Activities at Banora Point Community Centre, 1pm-4.30pm, cnr Leisure and Woodland Drive. Plus Mobile Phone Workshop at 4.30pm.
- Lindisfarne Seniors Luncheon, 12.30pm-1.30pm, Lindisfarne Anglican Grammar School, Mahers Lane, Terranora.
- Radio Controlled Yachts, 10am-4pm, Hec Beswick Park, Lake Kimberly, Banora Point.
- Ballroom Dancing Exhibition and lunch, 11.30am, Community Hall, Heffron St, Tweed Heads South.
- Mobile Phone Workshop, 3.15pm, Banora Point Community Centre, cnr Leisure and Woodland Drive.
- Noble Lakeside Park Seniors on Parade, 11am-2pm, Noble Lakeside Park, Monarch Drive, Kingscliff. A large event with lunch and entertainment for over 200 people.
- Launch of Pottsville Historical Walk, 7.15am, Pottsville Beach Neighbourhood Centre, Elizabeth St.
- Tweed Valley Jazz Club, 1pm- 4pm, River St, Murwillumbah. Jazz with John Nicol.
- Murwillumbah Library, 10am, Computer info session on techno-speak.
- Grow with the Flow, 1pm-4pm, Pottsville Beach Neighbourhood Centre, Elizabeth St. A workshop combining movement and creative writing.
- Seniors Activities at Banora Point Community Centre, 9.30am-1pm, cnr Leisure and Woodland Drive.
- Stand-Up Comedy Night “Adventure before Dementia”, 6pm-9pm, Coolangatta Tweed Heads Golf Club, Soorley St, Tweed Heads South. Comedy performed by locally-trained seniors.