Seven reasons to plan a city escape this summer
WE LOVE where we live, there is no disputing that, but sometimes a city escape is just what the travel bug ordered.
If you're looking for a city that has it all, go no further than Brisbane, because going by this list, there is always something happening.
Whether it's a family getaway, girls weekend away or romantic jaunt, there's something to appeal to everyone.
Here are seven to get you stated:
- Come the end of the year, weird and wonderful theatre performers are out in force. The Wonderland Festival runs from November 23 - December 3, 2017 and sees the Brisbane Powerhouse transform into a Wonderland of cabaret, music, dance and circus performances. Cramming 20 shows into 12 days, the extravaganza will see purveyors of all things weird and wonderful converge on the city to bring you some seriously cool entertainment,
- If shopping is your thing, then this may just be your soul-city. With more than 1000 stores in the CBD, about 700 of them in Queen Street Mall, it's absolutely a one-stop-shop. Big international brands have found homes among the city streets including Uniqlo, H&M, Zara and Forever 21, plus there are plenty of boutiques waiting to be explored.
- When you've shopped till you've dropped, you're going to need to refuel. Luckily there is so much on offer when it comes to food. There is even an Ultimate Food Bucket List to make sure you don't miss out of 63 of the city's favourite feasts!
- If you're heading to Brisbane for Christmas, head straight to the Gold Lotto City Hall Lights in King George Square for a big dose of festive spirit. There is also Christmas markets and Cinema at South Bank and the Lord Mayor's Christmas Carols at the River Stage. See, you don't just have to hang around at Grandma's house!
- Plan your trip around what's happening in the sporting arena and you may as well move to Brisbane! There is something happening most weekends and summer is amped up full-bore. Soccer, cricket, rugby league, basketball, tennis - the list goes on. Grab your tickets early because these events sell fast.
- When you're feeling like you need to cool off or get a bit closer to nature, there are heaps of waterfalls, lakes and waterholes to explore. Try Morans Falls and Cedar Creek Falls in the Scenic Rim, Mt Coot-tha in Brisbane City and Lake Samsonvale in the Moreton Bay Region.
- Then head back into the city to get cultured at QPAC with some mind-blowing shows on their way to town including The Nutcracker ballet, Aladdin the musical and Mamma Mia: The Musical.
There is so much more where that came from. Check out 30 things to do this summer HERE.