Severe storm warning issued
The Bureua of Meteorology issued the warning at 1.37pm telling residents from the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Moreton Bay and islands, as well as Kingaroy to prepare damaging winds that were likely to hit during the next several hours.
Gold Coast, Logan,Scenic Rim and Redland residents have been warned to brace for damaging winds and large hail stones.
The storms began to hit the region about 1.30pm.
Emergency Management Queensland advises people should:
- Move cars under cover or away from trees
- Secure loose outdoor items
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm
- Look out for fallen trees and powerlines
For emergency assistance, contact the SES on 132 500.
The rain will no doubt be welcome by people who have not had a chance to wash their cars since recent dust storms coated vehicles in fine red dirt.