Severe storm warning for SEQ
The bureau is warning large hail stones and damaging winds are likely for the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Redland, Logan, Somerset and Sceninc Rim areas.
Storms are expected to sweep across the south-east affecting Beerburrum and Woodford about 4pm and Dunwich, Peel Island, waters off Bribie Island and northern Bribie Island by 4:40 pm.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people to:
- Move cars under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500
The next warning was due to be issued by 4:45 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the the south-east coast and parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Wide Bay and Burnett, Maranoa and Warrego and Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.