Siege perpetrator goes to jail ... but for other crimes

SERT police officers at the scene of last month's siege in Redbank Plains.
SERT police officers at the scene of last month's siege in Redbank Plains. Rob Williams

THE man who caused Redbank Plains to be locked down last month has gone to prison.

But not for the siege in which he was arrested.

Jonathon James Maybanks, 30, pleaded guilty to a string of charges consisting of receiving tainted property, driving over the no-alcohol limit, breaking into and stealing from a car, breaching a bail undertaking, failing to take reasonable care of a syringe and possessing a weapon while under the influence of drugs.

Before 5am on Saturday, June 22, police were called to an apartment complex at Redbank Plains after receiving a call that Maybanks was high on speed and armed with a 9mm pistol.

The caller told police Maybanks was threatening to shoot people and knew there was a warrant out for his arrest.

The court heard he was planning to "go out in a blaze of glory" if police tried to apprehend him.

Police locked down the area around the high density unit complex on the corner of Keidges Rd and Lillian St.

The siege lasted five hours until police special operations group found him unarmed on a balcony and apprehended him.

Inside the unit police found a replica 9mm Glock, two magazines and two uncapped used syringes.

He has remained in police custody for 10 days since the event.

While Magistrate Dermot Kehoe described the offence as "very serious" it was noted the maximum penalty for the charge was a fine rather than time behind bars.

At the time of the siege Maybanks was wanted on a warrant for breaching a bail undertaking and was on charges of receiving tainted property and breaking into a car and stealing two mobile phones.

Maybanks was pulled over on Tuesday, February 19, where police found his car full of items stolen from an Ashgrove house the day before including phones, iPads, jewellery and a camera.

He also pleaded guilty to breaking the window of a car parked on Bruce St and taking phones from inside.

Police searched his unit where they found him hiding inside a wardrobe with a stolen phone on the floor next to him.

Mr Kehoe said Maybanks caused a huge disturbance in Redbank Plains.

"Even though it may have been a replica firearm it caused great concern for the community," he said.

Maybanks was imprisoned for six months for receiving tainted property and nine months for breaking into a car.

He was fined $800 for possessing a weapon while under the influence of drugs, and $1000 for driving while over the no-alcohol limit.

He was disqualified from driving for 10 months.

Topics:  redbank plains

Marine Rescue leads to life of memories at sea

BON VOYAGE: Bernie Gabriel reflects on his time in the Marine Rescue NSW Service.

Bernie Gabriel looks back on early days.

Long road ahead to ease pain of stabbing death

Imogen Larter with horse Nelson.

Victim's family tells of heartache, healing

Local Partners