Six sensational things to do on the Tweed this weekend
BARGAIN shopping in the name of charity and plenty of country music are just some of the fun things to do in Tweed this weekend. Here's our pick of the top six:
1. SINGER Pete Murray will play Twin Towns Services Club on Friday. Murray is commemorating the release of his first album Feeler, 10 years ago, with a national anniversary tour. He will be supported by Unearthed Triple J artist Patrick James, who started as a busker in Sydney. The gig starts at 9pm DST (8pm Qld), cost us $40 pre-bought or $50 at the door, bookings to 1800 014 014 or oztix.com.au.
2. LIFELINE is set to impress Tweed's best bargain hunters with its first $2 sale outside of Queensland. Whether you're looking for some affordable threads for the little ones or a sharp new outfit for yourself, the Lifeline $2 Clothing Sale will have about five tonnes of ladies', men's and kids' clothing available. It's on Saturday from 8am-5pm and Sunday from 9am-4pm at the Tweed Heads Civic Centre.
3. CATCH country crooners Trombone Kellie and the Muddy Roaders at Stokers Siding Hall Saturday from 7.30pm. They're all about what they call Blazz Swing - a new and exciting energetic mix of swing, jazz and blues all at the same time. Their enthusiastic added blend of western swing and country songs are a sure blast from the past. Featuring passionate vocals, raunchy horns and tasty guitar, their interesting and fulfilling repertoire will lift and delight any mood.
4. SMOKEHOUSE Country Music Club will meet at Coolangatta/Tweed Heads Golf Club Sunday from 1pm DST. Singers welcome, just bring three copies of chorded song charts for the Smokehouse backing band. There's a large dance floor and cafe for lunch. Come along for a great afternoon of country music, dancing and friendly company. The group is celebrating 20 years of country music on the Tweed. Entry $3. Phone Colin, 07 5590 4465.
5. POP along to the Tugun Community Centre this weekend to see Tugun Theatre Company's latest production Love's A Luxury. It's on this and next Saturday at 8.30pm DST, with a matinee at 3pm DST this Saturday. Bring along your own drinks and nibbles to enjoy. Tugun Community Centre is located on Coolangatta Rd. Bookings to Mandy, 07 5524740.
6. WOLF Creek 2 the highly anticipated follow-up film of Wolf Creek opens in cinemas this week. With John Jarratt reprising his role as Mick Taylor you can be assured that if getting scared good and plenty is what you are up for then Wolf Creek 2 is for you. Lured by the promise of an Australian holiday, backpackers Rutger, Katarina and Paul visit the notorious Wolf Creek Crater. When they meet up with the site's most infamous local, their adventure quickly turns into a nightmare. It's showing at Birch Carroll and Coyle Coolangatta and Hoyts Tweed City.