Fraser Coast Chronicle

Smoke alarms save family from chimney fire

PUMPENBIL resident Kaz Jacobs can thank her lucky stars and a second smoke alarm for saving her family and their home from a blaze yesterday.

A fire broke out in their chimney's flue about 4am before the smoke alarm in the living room alerted Ms Jacobs to the blaze. Ms Jacobs and six other people, including family friends staying at her home were woken by the alarm.

“I can't believe how lucky we were. If it wasn't for the smoke alarm we may not be here at the moment,” Ms Jacobs said.

“One of my sons took the batteries out of the other smoke detector without asking me just the day before so thank god we had a spare in there.”

Units from Tyalgum, Chillingham and Murwillumbah Rural Fire Service responded to the call to extinguish the fire.

Damage to the house was contained to the living room.

“We just want to say thank you very much to the firemen who came out. They are all volunteers and being out of town it was really out of their way,” Ms Jacobs said.

“They are worth their weight in gold.”

NSW Rural Fire Service community safety officer for Far North Coast Laurence McCoy said Ms Jacobs and here family were fortunate to have smoke alarms in their house.

“This should be a reminder to everyone that smoke alarms do save lives,” Mr McCoy said.

Legislation requires all NSW residents to have at least one working smoke alarm installed on each level of their home.

This includes owner occupied, rental properties, relocatable homes or any other residential building in which people sleep.

Mother of Anzac protester apologises

Mother of Anzac protester apologises

The protester disrupted the Anzac Day service in Murwillumbah.

Tweed star is synching the competition

Tweed star is synching the competition

Tweed's synchronised swimmers dominate nationals

62 shark sightings in 5 hours keep lifesavers busy

62 shark sightings in 5 hours keep lifesavers busy

DPI aerial patrols continue to report sharks chasing bait fish

Local Partners