Snapper boardwalk too costly
A NEW Zealand couple were disappointed to learn yesterday their favourite walk on the Gold Coast was about to be razed as a cost-cutting measure.
The Snapper Rocks Oceanway boardwalk was given a death sentence at Monday's nights Gold Coast City Council (GCCC) meeting after councillors decided it was too expensive to keep.
Council officers quoted a $1 million price tag to repair the current walkway and councillors opted to tear it down in favour of a $400,000 concrete path.
However, regular Gold Coast visit- ors Graham and Adele Wooldridge of New Zealand were against the removal.
“We love the boardwalk, absolutely love it,” Mrs Wooldridge said.
“It would be terrible to see it go, it is the character of the place, it is our favourite walk,” Mr Wooldridge said.
“It is disappointing; it sounds like someone is ripping someone off if they have quoted a million dollars.”
But long-time resident of the area Roger Duffield agreed it should go.
“I guess they will make the new design look nice, they usually do.”
He did say he liked the boardwalk for photography, but “who wants to spend all that money?”
A GCCC spokesman said Council had looked long and hard at the boardwalk and had finally come to the decision it had to be removed.
Not only was the cost of repair high, but with the walkway's exposure to the elements, ongoing maintenance was also an issue, the spokesman said.
The construction of a completely new boardwalk with more resistance to the elements had been investi- gated, but the cost for that structure was millions of dollars.
The spokesperson said disability access was also a problem.
Lynn Wood took her mother on the boardwalk in a wheelchair yesterday, with Donna Rix.
“We always come for a walk around here,” Ms Wood said.
“This is the first time we have brought mum in the wheelchair; it was a little bit hard getting her up, but my sister and brother pushed her up together.
The GCCC spokesperson said the 20-year-old structure would be removed “as soon as possible”.