Soldier who wounded Aussie troops killed

A FORMER Afghan National Army soldier who fired on and wounded Australian troops in 2011 was killed on Tuesday night.

Australian Defence Force chief General David Hurley confirmed on Thursday that Mohammad Roozi was killed by small arms fire.

Afghan forces, supported by Australian and International Security Assistance Force elements, launched a cordon and search operation in Takhar Province following months of "focused intelligence work".

"As the team approached, Roozi threw a grenade. He was immediately engaged with small arms fire and killed," Gen Hurley said.

"Unfortunately, one of the Afghan National Security Force members leading the clearance was slightly wounded when the grenade detonated."

In November 2011, Roozi opened fired with an automatic weapon on Australian soldiers as they worked alongside their Afghan partners at Patrol Base Nasir.

Three Australian soldiers were wounded along with two ANA members.

Roozi escaped and had been on the run for almost two years.

"We never gave up searching for Roozi. Australian forces, in concert with ISAF, narrowed down his location and then worked with the ANSF and ISAF elements responsible for the area to plan and conduct a focused mission," Gen Hurley said.

"We continue to work with ISAF and ANSF authorities to detect and apprehend those who commit these insider attacks including Hek Matullah who is wanted for the murder of three Australian soldiers at Patrol Base Wahab in the Baluchi Valley region of Uruzgan in August 2012."



Iconic pub closes its doors after 83 years

Iconic pub closes its doors after 83 years

Patrons have expressed shock their 'local' has closed

Turnbull changes tune on banks

Turnbull changes tune on banks

“When banks have done the wrong thing they must pay compensation."

Playing tricks on yourself to get healthy

Playing tricks on yourself to get healthy

Living Naturally with Olwen Anderson

Local Partners