Storms hit the Northern Rivers
UPDATE: Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Metropolitan, Illawarra, Central Tablelands and North West Slopes and Plains districts and the warning for these districts has been cancelled.
The warning still remains for Lismore, Grafton, Maclean, Taree, Cessnock and Maitland.
EARLIER: THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for large hailstones and damaging winds for people in the Northern Rivers, Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Mid North Coast, Central Tablelands and North West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Taree, Newcastle, Gosford, Wollongong, Nowra, Armidale and Tamworth.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep clear of fallen power lines.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 50.0